Tuesday 29 May 2012

Frida Kahlo: Grandparents, Parents, And I

Frida Kahlo’s painting: “Grandparents, Parents, and I” is one of my favourite paintings, and the reason for this is that it is the only painting that has made me cry. 

I think I am moved by this painting because there are so many messages within it. The painting shows Frida Kahlo as a child inside a house, Frida Kahlo is also depicted as a fetus inside of her mother, and below the image of her mother is an egg being fertilized which is the conception of Frida Kahlo.
The painting is Frida Kahlo’s family tree, the top row of people are Frida Kahlo’s grandparents, and the two larger figures in the middle are Frida Kahlo’s parents. All the figures are linked together with a red ribbon, and it loops in Frida Kahlo’s hand, as it can go no further; Frida Kahlo was never able to have a child.
I think that is the reason she depicted herself as a child, as there is a saying that you are never truly a woman until you bare a child. 
What do you think about this painting? And Frida Kahlo?
www.carolineballard.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...